Friday, August 2, 2013

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics



I am a part of Generation Y, and by the different articles I have read, we are a force that's on its way to change the work environment. In a positive way of course. Generation Y would be anyone born between the years 1977 through 2002. A generation with most of it's percentage under 30 years old and moving at a very fast pace. In the work environment, it seems that Generation Y seems to like having creative input and helping by having new ideas, though most older generations don't like it much since they stick with a daily routine. I agree with that because in a work environment I like to come up with different ideas when it comes to solving a problem or an issue. I'd rather discuss what a good option is rather than being told "this is the way it is and the way its going to stay." A good description of the type of work environment someone in Generation Y would look forward to would be, "An environment where creativity and independent thinking are looked upon as a positive is appealing to people my age. We're very independent and tech savvy."
(http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2005-11-06-gen-y_x.htm) Another point brought up was that Generation Y is financially smart. They base that off of the fact that we got to witness the big dot-com bust and felt the after effect of all the sudden layoffs that occurred. Although I think we did learn a valuable lesson and became smarter about saving more of our money, most of the generation is still very young. That means no rent to pay, no car loans, no bills, so we are more likely to spend a little carelessly. Overall, I do feel that the descriptions more or less match Generation Y's traits and characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment